Our Fellowship Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Fellowship Forum

Welcome to Our Fellowship Forum!

HomeLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in

Compromise at the church?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
boyscout

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Compromise at the church? Empty
PostSubject: Compromise at the church?   Compromise at the church? EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 7:48 am

Praying:
1 Corinthians 14:16
Nah is an antonym to Amen.

Praise:
Ephesians 5:19
Of course singing praise is to entertain ourselves.

Meeting:
Hebrews 10:25
There are always good reasons.

Self pity:
1 Corinthians 13:5
The Lord of Sabbath is ourselves.

Back to top Go down
t

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Compromise at the church?   Compromise at the church? EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 2:12 pm

boyscout wrote:
Praying:
1 Corinthians 14:16
Nah is an antonym to Amen.
who said nah?

boyscout wrote:

Praise:
Ephesians 5:19
Of course singing praise is to entertain ourselves.
"sing and make music from your heart" - should one sing if it is not from the heart? who are we trying to please?

boyscout wrote:

Meeting:
Hebrews 10:25
There are always good reasons.
more like we are too much in the habit of meeting, even when we bite and devour more than edify

boyscout wrote:

Self pity:
1 Corinthians 13:5
The Lord of Sabbath is ourselves.
saturday night was a fine example of keeping that verse
Back to top Go down
boyscout

PostSubject: Re: Compromise at the church?   Compromise at the church? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 11:56 am

Praying: it's wrong to pray in silence as a group. I regret I agreed with that because it's against the scripture.

Praise: it was a response to the notion that singing praise is rejoicing oneself. I refuted that using "Great is thy faithfulness" as an example. I hereby further refuted with Ephesians 5:19.
On the other hand, while singing from the heart is important, one has to ask himself/herself why if he/she could not? Not the right hymn? It was encouraged to bring one`s own favourite but then it was misunderstood as compulsory, wasn`t it?

Gathering: please show where the biting and devouring is. Perhaps it`s time to pinpoint who, when and how.

Saturday night, in fact many nights like this, was a fine example of showing how much we hated Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
t

PostSubject: Re: Compromise at the church?   Compromise at the church? EmptySat Feb 13, 2016 5:49 pm

Praying: I brought a doubt. I said the common way to pray is a tradition from the church and not derived from scripture. One time, you brought some scripture about giving thanks before a meal, which further reinforced my view because there was no indication the "giving thanks" was extended to a long prayer. I said I had no problem with praying together, but don't make me the one to do it. Yeshua taught to pray in secret - so I know at least that is right. My view is when the disciples prayed together (Acts 1, 2, 4), seems like they had pressing things to pray about, and it seems important to bring out those things and then keep praying about it when we meet and when we don't. That seems better than to just pray "together", but have someone just spill out whatever comes to mind. If this view is against the scripture, no one told me about it until last Saturday when apparently someone has always thought this is my fault.

Praise: I merely saw that in the last few weeks, our bible study or discussions ran over or we started too late, so we ran out of time. We could have talked about it and set a time to do it next time - no need to bash people. Or ask those you think are reluctant to sing why it is so. What I find a little odd is sometimes our reason to sing is "seems like we're tired, let's sing" or "it's very quiet, let's sing". If we're singing because we're tired or quiet, those are bad reasons. It's like we're singing just to break the silence. Maybe we should take a break or take a few minutes of quiet time to think instead. The reason to sing should be we want to praise our god, not because seems like people are tired. I was prepared to sing the last few weeks. So was Mavis. I think it is just miscommunication.

Meeting: It is just my opinion that we hold things against each other, but tolerate and don't bring it up because we don't want to upset one another. We don't love, we merely tolerate. Eph 4:25 "speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another" - I don't think we do that. James 1:19-20 - we don't do that. If someone has a fault, we should be able to talk about it in accordance with the truth BEFORE we get angry.
-- But this was about meeting. I once asked what is the purpose of meeting, and I actually do not remember a good answer. There is Heb 10:25, maybe some examples from Acts and Paul. It is not part of the sabbath law. How does it align with us walking with YHWH? To be clear, I think we have to meet, but maybe not every week, and to achieve what exactly? To learn to deal with the awful personalities we all have so we know how to "love your neighbors"?

Saturday night - tell me about it.
Back to top Go down
boyscout

PostSubject: Re: Compromise at the church?   Compromise at the church? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 6:01 pm

Praying: I just made my statement. I was not looking for answer but if you look for arguments. You may read the scripture I quoted in the first post.

Praise: bashing? really? Did I not just ask "collectively" why one could not sing in my last post? Is it wrong to praise when one feels tired and when there's nothing else to do? Is it better to do worldly things to cheer one up?

Meeting: Who was angry in the very last meeting? What did I say to give the impression that I was angry?
Back to top Go down
t

PostSubject: Re: Compromise at the church?   Compromise at the church? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 9:14 pm

Praying: the scripture you quoted is about praying in an unknown tongue, not praying in silence. You said praying in silence is against scripture. My opinion is I'm not sure it is against scripture. However, I do not advocate for praying in silence -- my only suggestion is it seems good to agree on things to pray about before hand.

Praise: No, not wrong, I was merely stating my observations to help us better understand what happened from different perspectives.

Angry: In my last post, I was referring to everyone's tendency to become angry, not you specifically.
Back to top Go down
boyscout

PostSubject: Re: Compromise at the church?   Compromise at the church? EmptySat Apr 23, 2016 11:21 am

Praying in secret: was the context against those who like to show off praying in public? Does the Bible say it is not right to pray in public regardless?

Did I say praying in silence is against scripture?
What I said was
Quote :

Praying: it's wrong to pray in silence as a group. I regret I agreed with that because it's against the scripture.
Can one see the difference when words are pulled out of context?

I quoted 1 Corinthians 14:16 to indicate that
a. the Corinthians gathered together to pray.
b. they would say amen in agreement.
c. it's wrong to pray together in silence because the result is like each one prays in some unknown language, that one does not know what the others was praying about and thus unable to say amen.
Back to top Go down
t

PostSubject: Re: Compromise at the church?   Compromise at the church? EmptySat Apr 23, 2016 11:53 am

Praying: the scripture you quoted is about praying in an unknown tongue, not praying together in silence. You said praying together in silence is against scripture. My opinion is I'm not sure it is against scripture. However, I do not advocate for praying together in silence -- my only suggestion is it seems good to agree on things to pray about before hand.
Back to top Go down
boyscout

PostSubject: Re: Compromise at the church?   Compromise at the church? EmptySat Apr 23, 2016 1:55 pm

I have nothing to add if you don't understand what I said in earlier post.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Compromise at the church?   Compromise at the church? Empty

Back to top Go down

Compromise at the church?
Page 1 of 1