Our Fellowship Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Fellowship Forum

Welcome to Our Fellowship Forum!

HomeLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in

Romans 3:28 Justification by faith

Go down 
AuthorMessage
boyscout

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Romans 3:28 Justification by faith  Empty
PostSubject: Romans 3:28 Justification by faith    Romans 3:28 Justification by faith  EmptySat Apr 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Romans 3:28 For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law.

What is the meaning of "justified"?

Greek is δικαιόω G1344 which Strong's definition is:
to render (i.e. show or regard as) just or innocent:—free, justify(-ier), be righteous.

δικαιόω G1344 root word is δίκαιος G1342 which Strong's definition is:
equitable (in character or act); by implication, innocent, holy (absolutely or relatively):—just, meet, right(-eous).

δίκαιος G1342 root word is δίκη G1349 which Strong's definition is:
right (as self-evident), i.e. justice (the principle, a decision, or its execution):—judgment, punish, vengeance.

I would say it means "declared righteous" which is verified by Young's literal translation in which Romans 3:28 reads: therefore do we reckon a man to be declared righteous by faith, apart from works of law.

What is the meaning of "righteous"?

There are quite a few verses in NT using the word "righteous" which is the same Greek word δίκαιος G1342. And there were quite a few righteous persons in both OT and NT. Examples are
a. Matthew 1:19 Joseph, the husband of Mary whose the mother of the Messiah.
b. Matthew 13:17 The Messiah testified there have been many righteous men before Him.
c. Matthew 23:35 Abel and Zechariah in the OT were righteous men.
d. Mark 6:20 John the Baptist was a righteous men.
e. Luke 1:5-6 Another Zechariah and Elizabeth in the NT were righteous.
f. Luke 2:25 Simeon was righteous.
g. Luke 23:50 Another Joseph who collected the body of the Messiah was a righteous man.
h. Acts 10:22 Cornelius was a righteous man.
All these people were declared righteous and were either before the sacrifice of the Messiah or before accepting the Messiah.
Therefore, if someone uses Romans 3:10, which reads "as it is written: there is no one righteous, not even one", to support the notion that there is no one righteous, he clearly misunderstands what Paul was trying to say. He clearly misunderstands Psalm 14 and Psalm 53.
Make no mistake, I'm not saying one can be saved apart from the Messiah. I'm merely saying there has been many righteous people in history.

If one reads Psalm 14 and Psalm 53 in context, it's not difficult to realize what message David was trying to convey i.e. there is no one righteous among those who do not believe in God and those who do not abide the law of God. No? David said God is present in the company of the righteous in Psalm 14:5.

The same can be said for Isaiah 64:6 which reads "....all our righteous acts are like filthy rag". Many uses this verse to support the idea that no one could do any true righteous deed. However, the context was against those who keep disregarding the law of God cf Isaiah 64:5.

To be continued.
Back to top Go down
boyscout

PostSubject: Re: Romans 3:28 Justification by faith    Romans 3:28 Justification by faith  EmptyThu May 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Consider the following bible verses:

1 Samuel 15:22 Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.

Psalm 4:4-5 Tremble and do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. Offer the sacrifices of the righteous and trust in the LORD.

Psalm 51:1-19 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight; so you are right in your verdict and justified when you judge. Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb; you taught me wisdom in that secret place. Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, so that sinners will turn back to you. Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God, you who are God my Savior, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness. Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise. You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise. May it please you to prosper Zion, to build up the walls of Jerusalem. Then you will delight in the sacrifices of the righteous, in burnt offerings offered whole; then bulls will be offered on your altar.

What is the sacrifices of the righteous? What is sacrifices and offerings anyway?
Back to top Go down
boyscout

PostSubject: Re: Romans 3:28 Justification by faith    Romans 3:28 Justification by faith  EmptyThu May 18, 2017 4:38 pm

Hebrews 13:15 Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise--the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.
What does this verse mean?

Let's not forget Jesus is the Word of God.

Psalm 119:105-112 Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. I have taken an oath and confirmed it, that I will follow your righteous laws. I have suffered much; preserve my life, Lord, according to your word. Accept, Lord, the willing praise of my mouth, and teach me your laws. Though I constantly take my life in my hands, I will not forget your law. The wicked have set a snare for me, but I have not strayed from your precepts. Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart. My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end.

Hosea 6:1-6 Come, let us return to the Lord. He has torn us to pieces but he will heal us; he has injured us but he will bind up our wounds. After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will restore us, that we may live in his presence. Let us acknowledge the Lord; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth.” “What can I do with you, Ephraim? What can I do with you, Judah? Your love is like the morning mist, like the early dew that disappears. Therefore I cut you in pieces with my prophets, I killed you with the words of my mouth— then my judgments go forth like the sun. For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

Hosea 14:1-2 Return, Israel, to the Lord your God. Your sins have been your downfall! Take words with you and return to the Lord. Say to him: “Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the fruit of our lips.

And we know sin is transgression of the law cf 1 John 3:4.

Those who provide lip service but do not obey His law have no clue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Romans 3:28 Justification by faith    Romans 3:28 Justification by faith  Empty

Back to top Go down

Romans 3:28 Justification by faith
Page 1 of 1