Our Fellowship Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Fellowship Forum

Welcome to Our Fellowship Forum!

HomeLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in

Praying for a Life Partner

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ah bel

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Praying for a Life Partner Empty
PostSubject: Praying for a Life Partner   Praying for a Life Partner EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 10:33 pm

"If we ask anything according to God's will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the request which we have asked from him" (1 John 5:14-15, niv).

"Please help me," a concerned Daily Encounter reader writes. "Is it okay to ask God to send me a special someone/companion to share my life?

You can ask God for every desire of your heart as long as it is in harmony with his will. He hears all sincere prayers and answers them—not always in the way we want them to be answered, but always in the way that is best for us.

However, to be attracted to and find a healthy, mature adult we need to be a HEALTHY MATURE ADULT OURSELF So the key is learning to pray the right prayer which, rather than asking God to send you or lead you to the right partner, you need to ask God first and foremost to help you become the RIGHT partner.

The fact is that only healthy, happy, mature people find healthy, happy, and mature partners. If an immature, unhealthy, self-centered person asks God for a life partner, will God lead them to a healthy and mature person? Not likely. And yet I see people expecting God to do this sort of thing all the time.

In our Western culture at least, romantically we are basically attracted to a partner where our neuroses (unresolved personal issues) mesh and we call it love or falling in love. Often it's pure passion and/or need. This can lead to real love, but the problem with falling in love is that once the passion subsides, if we don't have anything deeper, instead of growing in love we'll fall out of love.

So the important way to pray is to ask God to help you grow in maturity and that he will then lead you to a healthy, mature person. Furthermore, to grow in maturity takes strong commitment and hard work on our part. There's no such thing as instant maturity.

How will I know that God has sent this person?
When we find someone who “seems” like they would be the best spouse for us, we may “pray”—but all too often deep down, we already have our mind made up that we’re sure this would be God’s choice for us because that person “seems” to be the one who would be the best spouse for us. God doesn’t always see things our way.

What immediately looks good to us—the one we’re certain God would approve of (because they “appear” to be the best for us) may not actually be the best choice for our lives in the long term (it may, but it also may not be). That’s why we need to earnestly seek true wisdom from God and be living in close relationship with God so we know when God is speaking to us.

The Bible says, “Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires” (Romans 8:5).

We need to be patient in deciding who to marry and really look at whether they would be the best spiritual partner for us as well as life partner—because when we marry God intends for us to be joined with them spiritually for the rest of our lives. And if they don’t live out that which God values as being important, that could forever greatly affect our lives (and our future children and so many others) in very negative ways.

We want to be careful with whom we promise to spend the rest of our lives. Will that person (a true - proven believer??) be the type who will be committed to help you (and for you to help them) live out your lives together to the glory of God so others are affected in a positive way because of your union?

Something to consider on what marriage is really about is living together in an intimate working relationship with each other and with God.

When we lack wisdom, the Bible tells us to ask for it and God will give it to us generously (James 1:5). We need to ask God for wisdom and then pursue looking for the answer He will provide.

“With all your heart you must trust the LORD and not your own judgments. Always let Him lead you, and He will clear the road for you to follow. Don’t ever think you are wise enough but respect the LORD…” Prov3:5-7

Deut. 7:3 "Nor shall you make marriages with them. You shall not give your daughter to their son, nor take their daughter for your son. 4 "For they will turn your sons away from following Me, to serve other gods; so the anger of the LORD will be aroused against you and destroy you suddenly.
Back to top Go down

Praying for a Life Partner
Page 1 of 1