Our Fellowship Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Fellowship Forum

Welcome to Our Fellowship Forum!

HomeLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in

Jesus came to fulfill the Law

Go down 
AuthorMessage
boyscout

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Jesus came to fulfill the Law Empty
PostSubject: Jesus came to fulfill the Law   Jesus came to fulfill the Law EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 8:34 pm

This is something I answered in another forum. You might want to examine:

It would depend very much on how we interpret Matt 5:17-19, right?
I found the clue in verse 20
Quote :
For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not entering the kingdom of heaven
My understanding is, He went on to distinguish the righteousness of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law (who go by the letter of the Law) from the righteousness He requires of His disciples (who go by the spirit of the Law).
Example one: Murder
The letter of the Law stated not to murder - as long as you don't kill anyone you are fine.
The spirit of the Law is, as Jesus stated, anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment; anyone who says to his brother "Raca" is answerable to the Sanhedrin; anyone who says "you fool" will be in danger of the fire of hell.
Jesus did not abolish the law but explained it more clearly the requirement of God.
Let's skip other examples and I'd try to answer your question on "Divorce". You quoted Mark 10:2-5. I'm sure you wouldn't mind reading it further i.e. including verses 6-12 (Also Matt 5:31-32).
If we compared His saying with Deut 5:16-20, you will probably see that He's not changing the law for "Divorce" but rather clarifying this "OT" law - very much like the clarifying on the law for "Murder".

Now Jesus didn't say, do not listen to the Pharisees and the teachers of the law. Rather, He said "The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice wha they preach. c.f. Matt 23:2-3.

Back to top Go down
boyscout

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Jesus came to fulfill the Law Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jesus came to fulfill the Law   Jesus came to fulfill the Law EmptyTue Apr 18, 2017 9:25 am

Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Because of this verse, quite a few claim that the OT law is fulfilled, that it's over, that NT believers do not have to go by the law like the Israelites did. It's not abolished. It's simply fulfilled. It's not binding anymore.

The following is also ignored in Matthew 5:18
I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the law until everything is accomplished.

It's argued that the law has not disappeared, it's just that it has been accomplished by the Messiah. It's still there but it's not applicable to believers any longer.

What cannot be ignored is what the Messiah said in Luke 24:44
He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms."

Everything must be fulfilled that is written about the Messiah, the Passover lamb, the lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world - John 1:29

Those who interpret that the law is over for believers do not have a clue.
Back to top Go down

Jesus came to fulfill the Law
Page 1 of 1